Release Info: Brahms: Cycle Bernstein: The Symphonies - BoxSet 5DVD - Symphonies 1& 2 - DVD 1/5 [DVD9]
Brahms: Cycle Bernstein: The Symphonies - BoxSet 5DVD - Symphonies 1& 2 - DVD 1/5 [DVD9]
Classical | DVD | with complete scans (covers and booklet) | 7,46 Gb (DVD9) | DVD?s FULL No compression
Audio: PCM Stereo - DTS 5.1 | Relesase: October 9, 2007 | Publisher: Deutsche Grammophon
Leonard Bernstein chose to record this collection containing Brahm's orchestral symphonic music with the Vienna Philharmonic because of their homogeneous sound. The musicians are similarly schooled and, most important, the majority of their instruments are uniquely handmade: many of them dating back to the era of Brahms. In a strange (but very real) way, this collection presents Brahms played on original instruments, performed in an historically informed fashion. You cannot fail to be impressed how right everything sounds. The strings all have a similar silky sheen. The horns sound restrained and warmer. The winds have a burnished tone; their effect more diffident, less forward. This is a Brahmsian orchestra, without question. Bernstein conducts in typically demonstrative fashion. His tempos are extremely broad (the First Symphony lasts 56 minutes, 12 minutes longer than von Karajan's DGG recording). He is expressive, always emphasizing Brahms' Romantic side. These are passionate, probing performances. Sometimes, Bernstein performs Brahms in these Symphonies as if Brahms were Mahler. It takes a little getting used to. Allegros occasionally sound more like andantes, or even adagios. But once the adjustment is made, the beauty of these performances become apparent and win you over.
These are Bernstein's romantic vision of Brahm's symphonies and no one does the style better. Strongly recommended. ?
Double DVD. Here the first video.
1. Symphony No. 1 In C Minor, Op. 68: Un poco sostenuto - Allegro
2. Symphony No. 1 In C Minor, Op. 68: Andante sostenuto
3. Symphony No. 1 In C Minor, Op. 68: Un poco allegretto e grazioso
4. Symphony No. 1 In C Minor, Op. 68: Adagio - Allegro non troppo ma con brio
5. Symphony No.2 In D Major, Op.73: Allegro non troppo
6. Symphony No.2 In D Major, Op.73: Adagio non troppo - L'istesso tempo, ma grazioso
7. Symphony No.2 In D Major, Op.73: Allegretto grazioso (Quasi Andantino) - Presto ma non assai - Tempo I
8. Symphony No.2 In D Major, Op.73: Allegro con spirito