Classy, urbane, reserved, smooth, and sophisticated -- all of these terms have been used to describe the music of Roberta Flack, particularly her string of romantic, light jazz ballad hits in the 1970s, which continue to enjoy popularity on MOR-oriented adult contemporary stations. Flack was the daughter of a church organist and started playing piano early enough to get a music scholarship and eventual degree from Howard University. After a period of student teaching, Flack was discovered singing at a club by jazz musician Les McCann and signed to Atlantic.
Her first two albums were well received but produced no hit singles; however, that all changed when a version of Ewan MacColl's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," from her first LP, was included in the soundtrack of Play Misty for Me. The single zoomed to number one in 1972 and remained there for six weeks, becoming that year's biggest hit. Flack followed it with the first of several duets with Howard classmate Donny Hathaway, "Where Is the Love." "Killing Me Softly With His Song" became Flack's second number one hit (five weeks) in 1973, and after topping the charts again in 1974 with "Feel Like Makin' Love," Flack took a break from performing to concentrate on recording and charitable causes.
She charted several more times over the next few years, but a major blow struck in 1979 when Hathaway committed suicide. Devastated, Flack was forced to find another partner and eventually did in Peabo Bryson, with whom she toured in 1980. The two recorded together in 1983, scoring a hit duet with "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love." Flack spent the remainder of the '80s touring and performing, often with orchestras, and also several times with Miles Davis. She returned to the Top Ten once more in 1991 with "Set the Night to Music," a duet with Maxi Priest that appeared that year on the album of the same name. Her Roberta full-length, featuring interpretations of jazz and popular standards, followed in 1995.
01. Compared To What 02. Angelitos Negros 03. Our Ages or Our Hearts 04. I Told Jesus 05. Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye 06. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Fa 07. Tryin' Times 08. Ballad Of The Sad Young Men
01. I (Who Have Nothing) 02. You've Got A Friend 03. Baby I Love You 04. Be Real Black For Me 05. You've Lost That Loving Feeling 06. For All We Know 07. Where Is The Love 08. When Love Has Grown 09. Come Ye Disconsolate 10. Mood
01. Feelin' That Glow 02. I Wanted It Too 03. I Can See The Sun In Late 04. Some Gospel According To 05. Feel Like Makin' Love 06. Mr. Magic 07. Early Ev'ry Midnite 08. Old Heartbreak Top Ten 09. She's Not Blind
01. Why Don't You Move In With Me 02. The Closer I Get To You 03. Fine, Fine Day 04. This Time I'll Be Sweeter 05. 25Th Of Last December 06. After You 07. I'd Like To Be Baby To You 08. Soul Deep 09. Love Is The Healing 10. Where I'll Find You
01. What a Woman Really Means 02. You Are Everything 03. Independent Man 04. If Ever I See You Again 05. And the Feeling's Good 06. Knowing That We're Made for Each Other 07. Come Share My Love 08. Baby I Love You So 09. When It's Over
01. Lovin' You (Is Such An Easy Thang To Do) 02. Rollin' On 03. You Stopped Loving Me 04. Just When I Needed You 05. Qual E Malindrinho (Why Are You So Bad) 06. Love (Always Commands) 07. Children's Song 08. Ballad For D 09. Hittin' Me Where It Hurts
01. Killing Me Softly With His Song 02. The Closer I Get To You 03. You've Got A Friend 04. Feel Like Makin' Love 05. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow 06. Where Is The Love 07. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face 08. Back Together Again 09. You Are My Heaven 10. If Ever I See You Again 11. Jesse
01. Tonight, I Celebrate My Love 02. Blame It On Me 03. Heaven Above Me 04. Born To Love 05. Maybe 06. I Just Came Here To Dance 07. Comin Alive 08. You're Looking Like Love To Me 09. Can We Find Love Again
01. Oasis 02. All Caught Up In Love 03. Uh-Uh Ooh-Ooh Look Out (Here It Comes) 04. Shock To My System 05. You Who Brought Me Love 06. Something Magic 07. And So It Goes 08. You Know What It's Like 09. And So It Goes (Reprise) 10. My Someone To Love 11. (His Name) Brazil
01. The Waiting Game 02. Friend 03. Always 04. Set The Night To Music [with Maxi Priest] 05. When Someone Tears Your Heart In Two 06. Something Your Heart Has Been Telling Me 07. You Make Me Feel Brand New 08. Unforgettable 09. Summertime 10. Natural Thing 11. My Foolish Heart
01. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face 02. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow 03. Where Is The Love 04. Killing Me Softly With His Song 05. Feel Like Makin' Love 06. The Closer I Get To You 07. More Than Everything 08. Only Heaven Can Wait (For Love) 09. Back Together Again 10. Making Love 11. Tonight, I Celebrate My Love 12. Oasis 13. And So It Goes 14. You Know What It's Like 15. Set The Night To Music 16. My Foolish Heart 17. Uh-Uh Ooh-Ooh Look Out (Here It Comes)
01. Let's Stay Together 02. Sweet Georgia Brown 03. The Thrill Is Gone 04. It Might Be You 05. In a Sentimental Mood 06. Looking for Another Pure Love 07. I Don't Care Who Knows (Baby, I'm Yours) 08. Prelude to a Kiss (Intro) 09. Prelude to a Kiss 10. Angel Eyes 11. Tenderly 12. Cottage for Sale 13. Isn't It Romantic 14. My Romance 15. You'll Never Know ('Til You Let Go)
01. Killing Me Softly With His Son 02. Where Is The Love 03. Feel Like Makin' Love 04. The First Time Ever I Saw Your 05. And So It Goes 06. Tonight I Celebrate My Love 07. The Closer I Get To You 08. 'Til The Morming Comes 09. Back Together Again 10. Making Love 11. Only Heaven Can Wait 12. Set The Night To Music 13. You Are My Heaven 14. Oasis 15. Don't Make Me Wait Too Long 16. And So It Goes (Reprise) 17. Trade Winds
You would like to permanently remove ads and unlock benefits?
We display ads sparingly on website to help cover
costs without interfering with the browsing experience.
Tired of advertising and pop-ups? Join Now on OdiMusic.
Register on OdiMusic allows you to access to the minimum resources,
minimum advertising (no pop-ups),
if you choose to subscribe for one of our plans after registration
you can acces more than 1.000.000 Albums, Maxi, Cds, Vinyls releases inside!
(80% on demand) (requests, informations, images, tracklists,
reviews, ask for supports & much more!!!)