This seminal R&B trio was the first group to sport the new jack swing sound, essentially traditional soul vocals melded to hip-hop beats, with credit for the genre's invention going to founder, multi-instrumentalist, and super-producer Teddy Riley. Riley formed his first band, Wreckx-N-Effect, while still a teenager, with brothers Markell Riley and Brandon Mitchell; Guy followed a few years later in 1987. Its first incarnation featured vocalists Aaron Hall and Timmy Gatling. Their self-titled debut album was an instant smash, producing the R&B hits "I Like," "Groove Me," "Spend the Night," and "Teddy's Jam." Meanwhile, Riley found himself in strong demand as a songwriter and producer; in 1988, Riley produced Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel, the album that helped new jack swing cross over into the pop mainstream. Riley has also worked with Kool Moe Dee, Michael Jackson (Dangerous), Stevie Wonder, Keith Sweat, Jane Child, and SWV, among others. In between albums, Guy contributed songs to the soundtracks of Do the Right Thing and New Jack City.
By 1989, Guy was in turmoil; Riley's brother Brandon Mitchell was killed in a shooting, and the group became involved in an acrimonious split with manager Gene Griffin over money. 1990's The Future featured Hall's brother, Albert Damion Hall, in place of Gatling and spawned R&B hits in "Let's Chill," "Do Me Right," "D-O-G Me Out," and "Long Gone." However, by the time Riley and Guy finally started to attract media attention for their innovative and influential work, the trio had broken up. Riley concentrated on his production and songwriting career for several years before forming the band Blackstreet with vocalists Chauncey "Black" Hannibal, Dave Hollister, and Levi Little. The quartet released a self-titled debut in 1994. Aaron Hall released his solo debut, The Truth, in 1993; brother Damion followed in 1994 with Straight to the Point. Guy reunited in 1999, issuing Guy III early the following year. Allmusic by Steve Huey
01. Groove Me 02. Teddy's Jam 03. Don't Clap...Just Dance 04. You Can Call Me Crazy 05. Piece of My Love 06. I Like 07. Round and Round (Merry Go Round of Love) 08. Spend the Night 09. Goodbye Love 10. My Business
01. Her 02. Wanna Get with U 03. Do Me Right 04. Teddy's Jam 2 05. Let's Chill 06. Tease Me Tonite 07. D-O-G Me Out 08. Total Control 09. Gotta Be A Leader 10. The Future 11. Let's Stay Together 12. Where Did the Love Go 13. Yearing for Your Love 14. Smile 15. Long Gone 16. Wanna Get with U (Club Version)
01. Intro 02. Were Comin 03. Dancin 04. Rescue Me 05. Teddys Jam III 06. Do it 07. Why You Wanna Keep Me from My Baby 08. Tellin Me No 09. Not A Day 10. Love Online 11. Spend Time 12. Dont U Miss Me 13. 2004 14. Fly Away 15. Someday
01. Groove Me 02. 'Round And 'Round (Merry Go 'Round Of Love) 03. Teddy's Jam 04. I Like 05. Spend The Night 06. Piece Of My Love 07. My Fantasy (Teddy Riley Featuring Guy) 08. Wanna Get With U 09. Let's Chill 10. Do Me Right 11. D-O-G Me Out 12. Let's Stay Together 13. Teddy's Jam 2 14. Tell Me What You Like 15. Why You Wanna Keep Me From My Baby 16. Dancin' 17. Rescue Me
01. Groove Me 02. Teddy's Jam 03. Don't Clap...Just Dance 04. You Can Call Me Crazy 05. Piece Of My Love 06. I Like 07. Round And Round (Merry Go Round Of Love) 08. Spend The Night 09. Goodbye Love 10. My Business
01. Groove Me (Extended Version) 02. Teddy's Jam (Extended Version) 03. Don't Clap...Just Dance (12 Mix) 04. I Like (Extended Version) 05. Round And Round (Merry Go Round Of Love) (12 Extended Version) 06. Spend The Night (Extended Version)