After the Spinners and the O'Jays, the Stylistics were the leading Philly soul group produced by Thom Bell. During the early '70s, the band had 12 straight Top Ten hits, including "You Are Everything," "Betcha by Golly, Wow," "I'm Stone in Love With You," "Break Up to Make Up," and "You Make Me Feel Brand New." Of all their peers, the Stylistics were one of the smoothest and sweetest soul groups of their era. All of their hits were ballads, graced by the soaring falsetto of Russell Thompkins, Jr. and the lush yet graceful productions of Bell, which helped make the Stylistics one of the most successful soul groups of the first half of the '70s.
The Stylistics formed in 1968, when members of the Philadelphia soul groups the Monarchs and the Percussions joined forces after their respective band dissolved. Thompkins, James Smith, and Airrion Love hailed from the Monarchs; James Dunn and Herbie Murrell were from the Percussions. In 1970, the group recorded "You're a Big Girl Now," a song their road manager Marty Bryant co-wrote with Robert Douglas, a member of their backing band Slim and the Boys, and the single became a regional hit for Sebring Records. The larger Avco Records soon signed the Stylistics, and single eventually climbed to number seven in early 1971.
Once they were on Avco, the Stylistics began working with producer/songwriter Thom Bell, who had previously worked with the Delfonics. The Stylistics became Bell's pet project and with lyricist Linda Creed, he crafted a series of hit singles that relied as much on the intricately arranged and lush production as they did on Thompkins' falsetto. Every single that Bell produced for the Stylistics was a Top Ten R&B hit, and several -- "You Are Everything," "Betcha by Golly, Wow," "I'm Stone in Love With You," "Break Up to Make Up," and "You Make Me Feel Brand New" -- were also Top Ten pop hits.
Following "You Make Me Feel Brand New" in the spring of 1974, the Stylistics broke away from Bell and began working with Van McCoy, who helped move the group towards a softer, easy listening style. In 1976, they left Avco and signed with H&L. The group's American record sales declined, yet they remained popular in Europe, particularly in Great Britain, where "Sing Baby Sing" (1975), "Na Na Is the Saddest Word" (1975), "Can't Give You Anything" (1975), and "Can't Help Falling in Love" (1976) were all Top Five hits. The Stylistics continued to tour and record throughout the latter half of the '70s, as their popularity steadily declined. In 1980, Dunn left the group because of poor health, and he was followed later that year by Smith. The remaining Stylistics continued performing as a trio on oldies shows into the '90s.
01. Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart) 02. Point Of No Return 03. Betcha By Golly, Wow 04. Country Living 05. You're A Big Girl Now 06. You Are Everything 07. People Make The World Go Round 08. Ebony Eyes 09. If I Love You
01. I'm Stone In Love With You 02. If You Don't Watch Out 03. You And Me 04. It's Too Late 05. Children Of The Night 06. You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart) 07. Break Up To Make Up 08. Peek-A-Boo 09. You're As Right As Rain 10. Pieces
01. Only For The Children 02. Could This Be The End 03. Let Them Work It Out 04. Make It Last 05. Pay Back Is A Dog 06. Love Comes Easy 07. There's No Reason 08. Rockin' Roll Baby 09. You Make Me Feel Brand New 10. I Won't Give You Up
01. Let's Put It All Together 02. I Got A Letter 03. We Can Make It Happen Again 04. Keepin My Fingers Crossed 05. You Make Me Feel Brand New 06. I Got Time On My Hands 07. Doin' The Streets 08. I Take It Out On You 09. Love Is The Answer (Vocal) 10. Love Is The Answer (Instrumental)
01. The Miracle 02. She Did A Number On Me 03. Star On A Tv Show 04. Heavy Fallin' Out 05. Whats Happenin Baby 06. Go Now 07. Dont Put It Down Till You Been There 08. Hey Girl Come And Get It 09. From The Mountain
01. Thank You Baby 02. Cant Give You Anything (But My love) 03. What Goes Around Comes Around 04. I'd Rather Be Hurt By You 05. Disco Baby 06. Tears And Souvenirs 07. A Honky Tonk Cafe 08. Im Gonna Win 09. Stay 10. Sing Baby Sing
01. Funky Weekend 02. Jenny 03. That Dont Shake Me 04. Na Na Is The Sadest Word 05. Michael Or Me 06. The Day The Clown Came To Town 07. You Are Beautiful 08. To Save My Rock N Roll Soul 09. If You Are There 10. We Just Cant Help It
01. You Make Me Feel Brand New 02. Betcha By Golly, Wow 03. Rockin' Roll Baby 04. Break Up to Make Up 05. You're a Big Girl Now 06. I'm Stone in Love With you 07. Heavy Fallin' Out 08. Let's Put it all Together 09. You Are Everything 10. People Make the World Go Round
01. Because I Love You, Girl 02. Can't Help Falling In Love 03. Maybe It's Because You're Lonely 04. You Are 05. It's So Good 06. Sixteen Bars 07. Baby, Don't Change Your Mind 08. I Will Love You Always 09. Starvin' For Love 10. You Ought to Be With Me
01. The Great Pretender 02. I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good 03. Only You (And You Alone) 04. Don't Get Around Much Anyone 05. My Funny Valentine 06. Don't Worry ' Bout Me 07. Unchained Melody 08. Satin Doll 09. After The Lights Go Down Low 10. Send For Me
01. Shame And Scandal In The Family 02. I'm Coming Home 03. So What ! 04. Put A Little Love Away 05. Our Love Will Never Die 06. I Plead Guilty 07. $ 7000, And You 08. My Love, Come Live With Me 09. I Run To You 10. I'm Sorry
01. There'll Never Be Another You 02. First Impressions 03. You're The Best Thing In My 04. Looking At Love Again 05. I Can't Stop Livin' 06. I Just Cant Stop Loving You 07. Your Love's Too Good To Be Forgotten 08. Smooth 09. California Sun 10. Sail Away
01. Give a Little Love 02. That Same Old Feeling 03. Fool of the Year 04. Green Grass, Shade Trees 05. Wonder Woman 06. A Good Thing Goin' On 07. I Think About You 08. Lucky Me 09. A Rock and a Hard Place 10. One Way Trip to Paradise
01. Love Spell 02. You Make Me Feel So Doggone Good 03. One Night Affair 04. Broken Wing 05. Between Hello And Goodbye 06. Don't Know Where I'm Going 07. Love At First Sight 08. Fantasy 09. I Won't Forget To Tell You I Love You
01. Driving Me Wild 02. And I'll See You No More 03. Found A Love You Couldn't Handle 04. Maybe It's Love This Time 05. Hurry Up This Way Again 06. It Started Out 07. I Have You, You Have Me 08. Is There Something On Your Mind
01. Some Things Never Change 02. Give A Little Love For Love 03. Don't Change 04. The Girl In Yellow 05. Row Your Love 06. Love Is Not The Answer 07. Hooked On Your Lovin' 08. When Will I Learn 09. Just The Two Of Us
01. Can't Give You Anything 02. You Make Me Feel Brand New 03. Let's Put It All Together 04. You'll Never Get To Heaven 05. Rockin' Roll Baby 06. Sing Baby Sing 07. Na Na Is The Saddest Word 08. 7000 Dollars And You 09. Star On A TV Show 10. I'm Stone In Love With You 11. Betcha By Golly, Wow 12. Funky Weekend 13. Peek-A-Boo 14. Can't Help Falling In Love 15. Stop, Look, Listen 16. Sixteen Bars 17. Break Up To Make Up 18. You Are Everything
01. Can't Give You Anything (But My Love) 02. You Make Me Feel Brand New 03. Let's Put It All Together 04. You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart) 05. Rockin' Roll Baby 06. Sing Baby Sing 07. Na Na Is The Saddest Word 08. 7000 Dollars And You 09. Star On A TV Show 10. I'm Stone In Love With You 11. Betcha By Golly, Wow 12. Funky Weekend 13. Peek-A-Boo 14. Can't Help Falling In Love 15. Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart) 16. Sixteen Bars 17. Break Up To Make Up 18. You Are Everything
01. Can't Give You Anything (But My Love) 02. You Make Me Feel Brand New 03. Sing Baby Sing 04. Betcha By Golly, Wow 05. Rockin' Roll Baby 06. I'm Stone In Love With You 07. Let's Put It All Together 08. Sixteen Bars 09. Na Na Is The Saddest Word 10. Peek-A-Boo 11. Break Up To Make Up 12. Funky Weekend 13. You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart) 14. 7000 Dollars & You 15. You're A Big Girl Now 16. Hey Girl Come And Get It 17. Thank You Baby 18. You Are Everything 19. People Make The World Go Round 20. Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart) 21. Heavy Fallin' Out
You would like to permanently remove ads and unlock benefits?
We display ads sparingly on website to help cover
costs without interfering with the browsing experience.
Tired of advertising and pop-ups? Join Now on OdiMusic.
Register on OdiMusic allows you to access to the minimum resources,
minimum advertising (no pop-ups),
if you choose to subscribe for one of our plans after registration
you can acces more than 1.000.000 Albums, Maxi, Cds, Vinyls releases inside!
(80% on demand) (requests, informations, images, tracklists,
reviews, ask for supports & much more!!!)