Debuting in 1973 with a self-titled effort on the ABC label, Rufus was among the pre-eminent funk groups of the decade; distinguished by Khan's dynamic vocals, the group earned half a dozen gold or platinum albums before she went solo in 1978. Produced by Arif Mardin, Chaka proved to be a significant hit on the strength of the single "I'm Every Woman" (a hit over a decade later for Whitney Houston); however, Khan's success was somewhat tempered by her public rivalry with the remaining members of Rufus, to whom she was still contractually bound for two more LPs. (Their differences were eventually resolved in a 1982 concert at New York's Savoy Theater, issued as Stompin' at the Savoy.) As a solo artist, Khan recorded backing vocals for Ry Cooder's 1979 effort Bop Till You Drop, then cut her sophomore album, 1980's Naughty; it was not a hit, however, nor was its follow-up, What Cha' Gonna Do for Me.
In 1982, Khan recorded Echoes of an Era, a collection of jazz standards featuring performances from Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, and Lenny White. Her pop career was on shaky ground when she released 1984's I Feel for You, a platinum-seller launched by its title cut, a Grammy-winning, rap-inspired rendition (featuring memorable cameos from Melle Mel and Stevie Wonder) of a fairly obscure Prince album track. Still, while subsequent LPs like 1986's Destiny and 1988's C.K. kept Khan riding high on the R&B charts, her standing in pop's mainstream again began to wane, and at the end of the 1980s, she relocated to Europe.
In 1990, she won another Grammy for "I'll Be Good to You," a duet with Ray Charles. Come 2 My House, released on Prince's independent label, appeared in 1998, years after Khan had a falling out with Warner Bros. Just after penning the autobiography Chaka! Through the Fire, she collected another Grammy -- in 2004 -- for performing Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" with the Funk Brothers in Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Classikhan, featuring several interpretations of jazz standards, followed later that year. As she continued an active touring schedule, she recorded Funk This, a set of relatively funky originals and covers (produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis), released in 2007.
01. I'm Every Woman 02. Love Has Fallen On Me 03. Roll Me Through The Rushes 04. Sleep On It 05. Life Is A Dance 06. We Got The Love 07. Some Love 08. A Woman In A Man's World 09. The Message In The Middle Of The Bottom 10. I Was Made To Love Him
01. Clouds 02. Get Ready, Get Set 03. Move Me No Mountain 04. Nothing's Gonna Take You Away 05. So Naughty 06. Too Much Love 07. All Night's All Right 08. What You Did 09. Papillon (AKA Hot Butterfly) 10. Our Love's In Danger
01. We Can Work It Out 02. What Cha' Gonna Do For Me 03. I Know You, I Live You 04. Any Old Sunday 05. We Got Each Other 06. And The Melody Still Lingers On (Night In Tunisia) 07. Night Moods 08. Heed The Warning 09. Father He Said 10. Fate 11. I Know You, I Live You (Reprise)
01. Them There Eyes 02. All Of Me 03. I Mean You 04. I Love You Porgy 05. Take The ''A'' Train 06. I Hear Music 07. Hire Wire - The Aerialist 08. All Of Me (Alt. Take) 09. Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
01. Love of A Lifetime 02. Earth To Mickey 03. Watching The World 04. Other Side of The World 05. My Destiny 06. I Can't Be Loved 07. It's You 08. So Close 09. Tight Fit 10. Who's It Gonna Be 11. Coltrane Dreams
01. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) 02. Soul Talkin' 03. It's My Party 04. Eternity 05. Sticky Wicked 06. The End Of A Love Affair 07. Baby Me 08. Make It Last 09. Where Are You Tonite 10. I'll Be Around
01. Everything Changes 02. Give Me All 03. Telephone 04. Keep Givin' Me Lovin' 05. Facts of Love 06. Love You All My Lifetime 07. I Want 08. You Can Make The Story Right 09. Be My Eyes 10. This Time 11. The Woman I Am 12. Love With No Strings 13. Don't Look At Me That Way
01. Ain't Nobody 02. Papillon (A.K.A. Hot Butterfly) 03. Tell Me Something Good [Live] 04. I Feel for You 05. I Know You, I Live You 06. I'm Every Woman 07. Love Me Still 08. The End of a Love Affair 09. And the Melody Still Lingers On (Night in Tunisia) 10. Through the Fire 11. What Cha' Gonna Do for Me 12. Everywhere 13. Never Miss the Water 14. Somethin' Deep 15. Your Love Is All I Know 16. Every Little Thing
01. Come 2 My House 02. Intro 03. This Crazy Life of Mine 04. Betcha 05. Spoon 06. Pop My Clutch 07. Journey 2 the Center of Your Heart 08. I'll Never B Another Fool 09. Democrazy 10. I Remember U 11. Reconsider (U Betta) 12. Don't Talk 2 Strangers 13. Hair 14. The Drama
01. Hey Big Spender 02. Hazels Hips 03. The Best Is Yet To Come 04. Crazy 05. I'm In The Mood For Love 06. Is That All There Is 07. Stormy Weather 08. 'Round Midnight 09. Teach Me Tonight 10. To Sir With Love 11. Diamonds Are Forever 12. Goldfinger 13. I Believe
01. I Feel For You 02. I'm Every Woman 03. Ain't Nobody 04. This Is My Night (Remix Version) 05. Eye To Eye (Remix Version) 06. Papillon (Hot Butterfly) 07. I Know You, I Live You 08. Love Of A Lifetime 09. The End Of A Love Affair 10. Love You All My Lifetime 11. Don't Look At Me That Way 12. What Cha' Gonna Do For Me 13. Every Little Thing 14. Through The Fire
01. Back in the Day 02. Foolish Fool 03. One for All Time 04. Angel 05. Will You Love Me 06. Castles Made of Sand 07. Disrespectful (featuring Mary J. Blige) 08. Sign 'O' the Times 09. Pack'd My Bags, You Got the Love 10. Ladies' Man 11. You Belong to Me (featuring Michael McDonald) 12. Hail to the Wrong 13. Super Life